Wednesday, October 18, 2006

It's What I Do

It's What I Do
by Annie F. Hokett, MA, CCC-SLP

These kids come to speech-language therapy,
I teach them everyday,
To learn to talk,
And know what to say.

I help kids practice the /r/ sound,
The /s/ and /th/ too,
If they already knew how to say these sounds,
I wouldn't have anything to do.

Some need help with vocabulary,
Some need help following rules,
This girl needs help with oral motor,
Because she always drools.

Many kids have trouble with grammar,
Pronouns, adjectives, and verbs,
Formulating sentences can be hairy,
They say, "I don't know what to do with all these words."

I've heard him scream, whisper and holler,
This boy sounds very hoarse to me,
He's been unable to phonate at times,
That's why he gets voice therapy.

Some kids have apraxia,
Speaking is not hard for me or you,
But these kids have trouble forming words,
They really really do.

The new kid has trouble with articulation,
An IEP is the way to go,
I will give him intervention,
Unless the State regulations say NO.

Whether it be articulation, language, voice, or fluency,
I'm here everyday,
I do the best job I can,
To get these kids on their way.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Anne! It's Lindsey Roberts. I really like your new entry and the comic! Nice webpage for work too! One of the pictures of a student (blonde boy) is the same kid on the LESA website:). You will have to check it out. Great to hear from you!!!

Anonymous said...

You paint, you write poems... is there anything you don't do Anne?

Bruce, Kate & Wesley said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Anne, I didn't realize you were a poet! You must submit this to ASHA. I'll be looking for it in May for Better Speech & Hearing Month! Kate

Anonymous said...

Oh Annie...we miss you. You need to come and do that stuff here at KOS.

~Kelly